- 6 beets
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh thyme for garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 430F / 220c.
Peel the beets and cut them into quarters.
Place in a bowl with the rest of the rosemary, brown sugar, a few pinches of salt and pepper and the oil.
Combine with a spoon so that the beets are well covered with the oil.
Line a baking tin with parchment and place in the beets in a single layer.
Roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until just fork tender.
Remove from the oven and pour over the balsamic vinegar. Toss the beets so that they are well covered.
Place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Beets stain! If you don't want pink hands for a day or two, wear gloves when you peel them, and don't use your favorite chopping board when you cut them into wedges.
- Cut the wedges into similar sizes so that they cook through evenly.
- Coat the beets well in the oil. This will help them to crisp up all over.
- Place the beet wedges into an even layer on your baking sheet. If they are over crowded, they will steam rather than roast.
- The beets should be just fork tender when you add the balsamic.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 779mg | Potassium: 817mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 81IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg